Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Karnak's 'Nome das coisas' (The Name of Things)

Hello guys,
After a long period of time without posting here, I need to say that I really want to share something so special with you.
Well, you all know that my deep-down intention is to spark the interest of everyone in Brazilian art. But not in this type of “art” (automatized) that most reaches the audience here and abroad, I mean, that art the yellow press around the world diffuses through the means of communication — for example, somewhat similar in (awful) appearance and (horrid) composition to that one presented in US this year (September 5) at Brazilian Day in New York. This kind of “spectacle” (yes, it’s a spectacle, especially according to the terms of Guy Debord!) does not correspond to our first-line art… And Brazil, as I’ve ever told you, has so many wonderful artists and works of art that, in the best-case scenario, are not released. You can imagine why… So that’s my endeavor here: to try presenting you great artists and their great works.
Well, last Sunday I was watching TV, a good channel on our art, actually (Sesc TV), and, with great interest, indeed fascination, I figured out that a very, very great Brazilian band is coming along to our music scenario after some years the guys didn’t show up. I refer to KARNAK!
As tweeted a couple of minutes ago, I re-bring a video over here. That’s Karnak’s song ‘Nome das coisas’ (in English, ‘The Name of Things’). I hope you enjoy the video, the group’s performance, and help me in some way to spark the interest of as many people as you can…
I also bring you a free translation of the lyrics, just in order to reinforce my admiration for this special, beautiful, profound composition by Karnak, and of course to let you more into this.

The Name of Things

You and me
You and me

Names are given to things
Names are given to
Names are given to people
Names are given to

Names are given to things
Names are given to
Names are given to people
Names are given to

Names are given to Gods
into their wilderness heavens
Names are given to ships
into their wilderness seas
Names are given to diseases
into their wilderness sorrow
Names are given to children
into their wilderness love

You and me
You and me…


No comments: